Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lights and Dishes

Adam and I are having a “Creating Good Habits” week. You can tell I’m a teacher in the making when I theme my weeks for myself and even my fiancé. As most of you know, Adam is already living in the house we will be living in when we’re married and I spend the majority of my time there too. With this, we have already started to see how easy it is for us to make big messes in one night that I have to spend the whole next day cleaning.

After several hours of cleaning up dinner, the popcorn bowls, the cups in the living room, the homework books, paper, pens, game controllers, vacuuming the ants that got into the popcorn we left out, etc. I decided we needed a change before I’m living here too. So I went through the house room by room making a list of the little bad things we always do that need to end.

Some of the new ‘habits’ or chores were easy. I simply asked Adam to make sure to put his dirty laundry in the basket or to actually put the new toilet paper on the hanger, not just on the counter. Some of it was a little obsessive, like asking Adam to put all of his empty hangers to the right of the closet so it doesn’t take me two extra minutes to find empty hangers when I do his laundry. But the majority of the list was necessity; leaving lights on in rooms we aren’t in, leaving cabinet doors open (Yes Mom, I still do that), keeping an eye on how many dishes we use each day, and the list goes on.

It might be obnoxious that I’m thinking if we can learn how to fix these little bad habits now, our life together will be easier later when we have bigger things to worry about. I don’t think I’m crazy at all for it though. Next year we will both be in school full time and working full time. I won’t have the opportunity to thoroughly clean up our house like I have the time to clean his house now.

In Adam’s defense I have come over this week and his bed has been made and the house looks pretty good. Now I’m forced to face homework and wedding obligations because I don’t have cleaning as an excuse to avoid them. So here goes a week of building good habits. Wish us luck!

Next week “Good Money Habits”... Or maybe I’ll put that one on hold for a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment